In Stretching a canvas you will need to use a durable wooden fabric that can be used for tents, marquees and making sails . This kind of fabric is very strong and flexible that's the reason why it is durable . Canvas is most used by painters as a painting surface typically stretched across a wooden frame.
Canvas has become the most common support medium for oil painting, replacing wooden panels.Canvas is typically stretched across a wooden frame called a stretcher and may be coated with gesso before you use; this is to avoid oil paint from coming into direct contact with the canvas fibres, which will eventually cause the canvas to decay. A traditional and flexible chalk gesso is composed of lead carbonate and linseed oil, applied over a rabbit skin glue ground; a variation using titanium white pigment and calcium carbonate is rather brittle and susceptible to cracking. As lead-based paint is poisonous, care has to be taken in using it.
Process in making a canvas
Gather your supplies. To make a canvas on a wood frame, you will need the following supplies. You can find these supplies at your local art store.
- A long piece of art canvas. You should get a canvas that is long enough to create your ideal canvas size.
- Four stretcher bars. They are referring to wooden bars that have notches on one end. You should get two stretcher bars that are the ideal width you want for the canvas and two stretcher bars that are the ideal height you want for the canvas.
You will also need materials such as:
2. Fit the stretcher bars together. Take one long stretcher bar and one short stretcher bar.
Slide the notched ends of the stretcher bars together, pushing with your hands until the
two ends side together.
3. Tap the sides lightly with the hammer. To ensure all sides of the canvas are fitted properly, you can use the hammer to tap sides.
4. Cut the canvas to fit the wood frame by using scissors and then use your hands to tear
the canvas so the excess canvas comes off.
5. Attach the canvas to the frame using the staple gun. Fold over one short sides to cover
the frame.Make sure to secure both sides with the staples.
For these very simple process you can make canvases by yourself as well just in case you need it urgently.